Friday, November 11, 2011

Comp

Since I'm getting no studying done today I might as well post about something useful....comp. So at AUC we have to take and pass a comp which is a cumulative, standardized exam for all of basic sciences. It encompasses all disciplines and is a pretty big deal. In order to get off this island 5th semester we must pass a comp with a scaled score of 64. I feel like everyone always gets confused with the scoring but it really isn't too bad. The test is 4 blocks of 50 questions with 64 minutes per block. I thought our comp had a wide array of topics and really didn't focus too heavily on anything...which was a little surprising. This semester our average on the 1st comp was a 67 which is one of the higher first comp scores I believe. Thankfully I passed and am decently happy with my score.

In order to prep for comp I think it is important to start as soon as possible. I started doing questions during 2nd semester to stay on top of old material. I continued doing questions all the way up until comp. I think I've done somewhere between 4000 and 4500 questions between books and online Qbanks. Along with doing questions I also went through the entire Kaplan MedEssentials book, but I think doing a ton of questions was the single most important thing for me passing on my 1st attempt. As long as you use questions as a learning tool and not just an assessment of where you're at they can be a great prep tool.

I'm planning on taking the last comp on Dec 8th as well, hopefully by then I can be through first aid, rapid review path, and Pathoma but we'll see...I'd have to find a lot of motivation between now and then!

Noxolo