Friday, April 9, 2010

And so it begins

3 weeks and counting....

As of a week ago I am done with "work" for quite some time. It's a weird feeling.....so much to do, I seem to do so little, and yet the days still fly by.

A little wrap up of that past few weeks: As of a few weeks ago I finished up at Rochester Title and started back at IBM. I contemplated doing the whole work 2 full time jobs idea again but thought better of it and am thankful I did. I have tons of respect for those that work 2 full time jobs, and do them with a smile day in day out....a lot of people in this world could take a note from their book! It was a little different leaving RT....I had worked there for the past 6 months even though when I signed on I thought it would be a more short term gig. It was nice to get into a regular routine, something I really haven't had in quite some time, especially during college. It was kind of a false goodbye since I know I'll swing back in there sometime soon before I head out!

Leaving IBM on the other hand was a different story. I've worked at IBM for the past 4 years or so on and off. What started out as a summer job turned into a summer, winter break, spring break, and after graduation job...thus has led to about 4 different good bye's...or times where I NEVER thought I'd be going back! It was weird knowing that last Friday would be the last time I'd see a lot of people I've gotten to know over the years. My time at IBM gave me a ton of things. Not only was it a solid work experience with good pay, but it really opened my eyes up in a sense. Over the past 4 years I've learned some pretty cool things....

Things I've learned at IBM:
-some Somali, Swahili, Arabic, Ethiopian, and a handful of tribal languages
-about Darfur and East African Refugees struggle coming to the US
-a lot about the Muslim religion and way of life
-the Somali culture
-everyday struggles by those who gave up everything to move here for an opportunity
-along with countless other things...really, it was a job that was more than a work experience

The last day of the quarter a bunch of the Somali ladies at work decided to throw a little dinner party since it was the last day and let me tell you, it reminded me of home stay dinners in South Africa sooo much! Tons of great food, Somali donuts aka fat bread from SA, and lots of people just enjoying the food and the company.

I'm really going to miss that place and the people there....

Noxolo